Simchat Torah

Simchat Torah
We got our Bibles!

Monday, September 12, 2011

Morning Meetings are more than Show and Tell

"Oh, you think you are so cool," a sixth grade student whispered in my ear as she walked by handing out papers from the teacher.

"Who does she think she is? What is that stupid dress she'swearing?" a group of sixth grade girls comment as they walk behind me in the hallway.

"Idiot, why don't you go back to wherever you came from," stated a note shoved into my desk.

These are words, that were said to me when I was a new fifth grader in a combined classroom of fifth-sixth grade. I loved school up to this point, but that year I cried about going, because I was being bullied. I suffered from sleeplessness, stomachaches, headaches, and missed more school than usual.

What saved that year for me was several good strong friends who felt empowered to tell my attackers to leave me be. Also, I had a really great teacher. Mrs. Mashl was supportive, encouraging, and helped me to be strong.

In the Responsive Classroom there are five key skills teachers are encouraging in their students-- cooperation, responsibility, empathy, self control, and assertion, that help build positive proactive attributes in children both socially and academically. I share my fifth grade experience to show how words, and actions such as groaning, eye rolling, and ignoring, have the ability to wound others deeply, and tear down our community. As a community we all share the joys, sorrows, pains, and blessings together, and hurting one member of the community, is hurtful to us all.

The morning meeting is one activity we do each day that is a place where we can build these five attributes in students. Each person shares about themselves, and is listened to by each member of the community. Activities that encourage eye contact, saying each person's first and last name, and taking time to ask thoughtful questions help each community member feel known, encouraged and appreciated.

A typical morning meeting involves a greeting activity, a game, sharing the plan for the day, reading of a verse, and prayer. This month the verse Psalm 19:14, "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock, and my redeemer," has been our focus, and our prayer. I pray that you would join me in encouraging your student to be a cooperative, responsible, empathetic, assertive and in control member of our community.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.