Simchat Torah
We got our Bibles!
Tuesday, May 21, 2013
"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another." ~Walter Elliott, The Spiritual Life
As I write this there are little more than 20 days to go until the end of the 2012-2013 school year, and I find myself thinking of all the things I have left to do, I haven't done, and I wanted to do with this group of students. Mostly, I want to finish the year well. In 2 Timothy, Paul says to Timothy that, " I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." With that in mind, I look for opportunities to help these fourth graders finish the year strong.
First, we are still learning. The students have been researching and writing about a topic they chose. The requirements of the project include coming up with your own way to share about your topic. On Monday, June 10, we will have a sharing time from 11-11:30 n the fourth grade room. I hope you can make it.
Also students, as a part of STEAM, have composed their own question in regard to this theme's topics of oceanography, ship navigation, and shipwrecks. They also have chosen how they will share their information. Sharing day will be Friday, June 14.
Second, we are reflecting. As the year winds down the class will reflect on our learning, and how we have grown as students, as friends, and as a community. From this reflective time we prepare informative posters that welcome next year's class. These words of wisdom are often referred to throughout the year.
Lastly, we are maintaining consistent class structure and expectations. Since we are still working right up to the last minute, we are expected to maintain behavior that promotes a strong, encouraging learning environment.
How can you help your child finish strong? Here are my suggestions:
1. Keep a consistent schedule--bed times, homework, and play time.
2. Follow up on assignments--students are extremely busy, and enjoying the lovely Spring weather, and their homework and organization skills are suffering. Please help them stay on track.
2. Allow for extra sleep--as it stays lighter in the evening (and warmer)we tend to do more and more each day. Students still work hard at school all day, and then play hard afterwards. Provide opportunities for down time, and ensure you child sleeps at least nine hours each night.
3. Give words of encouragement and positive reinforcement--Spring fever makes any of us feel like we want to play hooky and skip out of our responsibilities. Encourage your student to stay strong, keep up the hard work, and finish the year well.
"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another." ~Walter Elliott, The Spiritual Life
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.