Need a good book idea?
Addie read The Invisible Thread
A story of a young girl named Yoshiko Uchida in the middle of a war.
After Japan bombs Pearl Harbor, all the Japanese-Americans are rounded up and placed in a camp in the desert. This camp was known for sand storms. It could catch you and you would come back covered in sand from head to toe. At young ages to old ages all sorts of ages were there. After a long time Yoshiko is freed. She becomes a teacher of 2nd and 3rd grade.
I liked the part when Keiko (Yoshiko’s sister) is sick and a friend offers her soup that makes you feel better. Turns out it worked. Keiko got better in a week. The soup was called Earth Worm Broth.
This book made me feel slightly angry because of the way the Japanese Americans were treated because nobody should be treated like that just because of their face. It’s just not right.
If you like happy beginnings slightly sad middles and a happy ending you’re in the right book.
Liam read Lunch Money
Once there was a boy named Greg. By collecting and earning money he became rich. Then he started selling things at school but the principal stopped him. There was a girl named Maura whom he didn’t get along with but then they became good friends. They talked to the school council about selling mini comic books at the school store and the council said yes.
Greg changed by becoming generous and realizing it felt good to give money away. What I liked about this book was that it was very descriptive, well written, and that I like the author. The one thing I didn’t like about the book was that it ended.
And Delaney enjoyed our summer reading book The Cricket in Times Square
The Cricket in Times Square is a great book. I like the part when Chester became a very famous musician because Mamma Bellini liked him, and because it is so amazing he could play like that! I loved when Chester played his wings, except that he was unhappy. If he had had breaks playing music though, it would not have been such a good book because it wouldn't be very interesting. Another interesting thing was how Chester got to New York. It is not every day a cricket gets to New York under a bag of roast beef sandwiches.
Chester is a pretty great character, but I can't say who is my favorite because all of the characters are good. I also really like Tucker Mouse and Harry Cat. It was kind of sad when Chester went back to Connecticut because he left his friends, but in the end everybody was alright.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.