Simchat Torah

Simchat Torah
We got our Bibles!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

4-3-2-1

"Is this project going to be part of my grades?"
"Will this effect my grades?"


These are examples of questions I start hearing at this time of the year. The fears and anxieties that go with the knowledge that progress reports will soon be arriving in their mailbox, start to surface, and students worry about each assignment and how it matters.

Many of our students have high expectations on themselves, and are not satisfied unless they receive perfect grades. I can appreciate the desire to work hard, and strive to be the best, but I worry that unless these motivated students see all fours on their progress report they will feel they have failed.

Recently, during a morning meeting we spoke about what the students can expect when they read their first term progress report. I explained that many students received threes and twos for their grades. A collective gasp rose up from the students, fingers fidgeted, and hands flew up in the air. I asked them to hear me out, and then I tied those numbers to letters with which they are more familiar--G, S, M, and U. I told them to think of a three like a G, a two like an S, and a 1 like a M. Immediately the anxiety level in the room decreased.

When we finished our meeting, the students understood that fours are hard to come by, and students that do receive them are doing work above and beyond most fourth grade work.

I will be meeting with each student to discuss the narrative portion of their progress report. I will also reaffirm their successes in class. This meeting will also give them an opportunity to ask me any questions they have about their progress.

If you have any questions about your child's progress, please don't hesitate to contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.