Simchat Torah
We got our Bibles!
Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Writing About Reading
In fourth grade students begin the process of using a Reader's Response Log, in which they write letters, or record drawings, to express their feelings, reactions and questions about the elements of the books they've read. They may wonder about a character's reactions to an event, or why the author had this story take place in a certain setting. The letters are to be three to five paragraphs long, and are to use the "friendly letter" style. (There is an example in the Reader's Response Log).
Why do we do Reading Response Logs? We do them because students read more carefully, and are accountable for their reading. They demonstrate their level of comprehension. Through writing letters, students develop language for discussing literature. They also develop critical thinking skills such as evaluating, synthesizing, and making generalizations. Through writing about what their reading, students increase retention.
When I read and respond to their letters, I am not correcting the mechanics of the piece, although I am making note of consistent mistakes. These will be worked on at another time. I am assessing their comprehension and critical thinking skills. I'm noting if the student is developing a "voice" as a writer. Also, if the student is using language effectively to communicate ideas. Lastly, I'm seeing if the students are growing in their awareness of themselves as readers. Basically, are they at the point where independent reading time is time to relish a book.
Many often have the Reader's Response Log with them when they travel home. You may want to inquire about their letters. They are an insightful, and often, delightful read.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.