Fractions. Just say that word to my 25-year-old son, and he shudders. He never understood the concept, and later when he needed to add, subtract, multiply and divide using fractions he hit a major snag in his math understanding. He is one of the reasons why I love math programs like Investigations. Using many hands on activities, having whole and small group discussions, and practicing through games, students gain an understanding of fractions, and work with them with confidence.
This week we've answered questions like this one: "If I have 24 marbles, and I give my friend 3/8 of those marbles, how many marbles did I give my friend?" We will also wonder about questions like this one: "If I have 2/3 of the cards for a card game, what is the fraction of cards my friend has?"
I wonder if there are any parents out there that would be willing to share their fraction stories?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.