Simchat Torah

Simchat Torah
We got our Bibles!

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Two book summaries by Abby

Book: Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

India Opal Buloni is the preacher’s daughter. When she was only three years old her mother left her with her father. A year ago when she was ten she was sent to a store called Winn-Dixie. As soon as she went in she was surprised by a very mad manager who was screaming,

“WHO LET A DOG IN HERE!?!WHO LET A DIRTY DOG IN HERE!?!”Then in a softer tone, “Please, somebody call the pound"

India couldn’t stand the thought of the dog going to the pound so she said,

“Wait a minute! That’s my dog. Don’t call the pound."

Then to the dog ,“Here boy” the dog didn’t move a muscle. So India said ,“Here Winn-Dixie” Then the dog walked up to her as if it was its name. As soon as this happened her heart was full of love for him. This love moved her and she became hard-working and full of courage.

I like this book because it had many things I didn’t predict.

Book: Love that Dog by Sharon Creech

Love that Dog is about a boy named Jack in room 105 at School. His teacher sometime reads poetry.
Jack writes:
I don’t want to
Because boys
Don’t write poetry.
Girls do

One day Jack’s teacher read a poem Jack really liked called Love That Boy by Walter Dean
Myers .It went like this:
Love that boy
Like a rabbit loves to run
I said I love that boy
Like a rabbit likes to run
Love to call him in the morning
love to call him
“Hey there, son!”

He liked it so much he wrote a poem like it about his dog Sky. Then he wrote a letter to Mr. Myers asking him to come to his school He did! But before Mr. Myers can come Jack hides his poem. When Mr. Myers leaves Jack sends his poem to Mr. Myers.
I think Jack could have written poetry but would not have worked as hard if he hadn’t
heard Love that Boy. I like this book because it is told like a diary or journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.