I remember one time I was helping my then freshman in high school son do his math homework, and he was trying to add fractions.
"I'm just so bad at fractions! I NEVER got it, Mom," he stated emphatically. Fractions often strike fear in the hearts of many adults, and yet as adults, we use fraction terminology often. I find that "fear" or dislike of fractions can be passed on to our children. The Investigations math program once again provides strong visual and hands-on conceptual development.
During this unit, students investigate the meaning of fractions and the ways fractions can be represented. They use halves, fourths, eighths, thirds, sixths, twelfths, fifths, and tenths to compare the value of fractions and use representations to add fractions. Students also work with decimals in tenths and hundredths. I find that students make a seamless transition here because of their work with money.
At home, encourage your child to explain the math thinking that supports their solutions to problems. There problem solving strategies are brilliant!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.